3 July 2013 - Revisiting Old Friends.

The Shoulder-striped Wainscot (Mythimna comma) is an established and regular visitor to Shandy Hall. I remember going through some of Helen's old posts and seeing pictures of them from last year, although I do not believe they were confirmed as Shoulder-striped Wainscots. I have also gone through some of the older posts and identified a few moths not previously confirmed. We've had Common Wainscots around as well, which look just like the Shoulder-striped Wainscot but are completely creamy white. Both are quite docile, and they are a lovely pair to find.


Shoulder-striped Wainscot (Mythimna comma)

Mithimna is a town on the island of Lesbos or Mytelene though the relation to the moth is unknown. Comma 'a mark' refers to the black streak on the Shoulder-striped Wainscot's wing. The Shoulder-striped Wainscot makes 271 on our species list. I hope we can reach the 300-mark before I leave in August!

- Post by Jane Wu